Site Specific Installation
Installation art uses sculptural and other non-traditiaonal material to transform a space, location, or architecture to intervene and enhance everyday public or private spaces.
Installation art creates an experience for viewer in a particular environment. Materials used in contemporary installation art range from everyday, natural materials to media such as video, sound, performance, immersive virtual reality and the Internet. Some installations are site-specific in that they are designed to only exist in one specific space for which they were created.
In this project create a site-specific installation artwork that will activate a public space and engage or challenge your audience’s point of view of this space. The work has to be created specifically for particular location within the limits of the Univeristy of Utah Campus. For this project you will work in groups of at least 2 and no more then 4 collaborators.
Materials and Media:
You can use any materials, how ever use of some materials may not be allowed in certain locations. Materials will have to be approved case by case. You may also use additional media in your installation as long as it is used to represent volume in 3d form. (sound, video,... ).
- Write 1-2 page (double spaced) proposal describing and analyzing the space you want to use in your site specific installation.
- Describe and analyze what the space is used for currently, how public uses the space, is it used for what it is intended, what the space could be used for, addressing and evaluate the space numerous functions.
- In the paper propose how you like to engage your audience in its evaluation of the space/location, what are your objectives for the installation?
- Discuss the means you will get the public engaged,by participation, are they passive or actively engaging in the work?
- Discuss what materials, forms, visual and sound elements you like to employ to affect and activate the space. In conclusion of your paper include detail description of how you anticipate your audience will be engaged in or by your project.
- Take images of the location and create perspective and areal drawings how you intend to construct and implement your installation with respect to the location.
- Fill Art/Architecture Project Equipment/Loan.
- Write a letter for permission to install work on University of Utah Grounds Department Supervisor, Sue Pope, explaining your project, giving specific location for your installation and exact dates for set up and take down of your work. With your letter include copies of your proposal documentation with photographs and drawings for your installation.
- The installation has to be set up before our final critique on April 22.
Critique of the final projects will be on April 22 from 9 am
Assignment 7 - Installation Proposal April 8th . 2 page project proposal turned in as pdf or .doc file on Canvas including drawings.
Assignments 9 - Site Specific Installation Drawings April 8th review project proposal. Submit your documentation photographs and drawings.
- Wednesday April 10th Filled loan form and letter for permission to use campus grounds for your installation the University of Utah grounds or building maintenance.
- Project installation Monday April 22.
- Project final critique Monday April 22.