Using Adobe Photoshop create personal photomontage, inspired by Surrealism.
Photomontage is the process (and result) of making composite image, usually photograph, by cutting and joining a number of other images. The same method is accomplished today using image-editing software Adobe Photoshop. The technique is referred to by professionals as "compositing", and in casual usage is often called "photoshopping".
In this project create a personal photomontage using your photographs or scanned images from various printed sources (images from internet have usually low resolution and are not suitable or this assignment). Through the photomontage express your self, either through your subconscious or conscious mind and ideas. Start by researching the surrealist movement, its themes, ideas and concept. Next start writing a short paragraph about what inspires your work, which artist and artworks you looked at and include some examples of their work you found inspiring. Describe your intent for this project and how you like to express the concept visually in your photomontage.
Using at least 7 images, create photomontage that is conceptually and visually united. Using the techniques we practice during lectures, making selections, creating masks, working with layers, channels and blending, just to name few. Pay close attention to formal elements like placement, proportion, use of color, balance of objects, and overall content and composition.
1. In Photoshop begin by setting a new file size to 8"x10" and 300 ppi and immediately save it as PSD file.
2. Place your images (source files) in new layers.
3. Using Photoshop tools select, mask, crop, combine, overlap or blend images, creating photomontage.
4. Save frequently so you don't loose your work if by accident your application quits.
5. When you are finished save your final work as PSD file format, preserving all layers in your file.
6. Before you turn your final version create a duplicate of your file and compress all layers.
7. Save your resized and compressed duplicate version as JPG file with with 5" x 7" and 72ppi.
Turn in check list:
- Uncompressed PSD file including all work layers in 8"x10" 300 ppi.
- Compressed jpg. file 5"X7" 72 ppi .
- One page paper, expressing what inspired your work, which artist and artworks you looked at and examples of work you found interesting. Clearly describe your intent for this project and how you express the concept visually in your photomontage.
- Place everything in clearly labeled folder with project 1 and you last name and copy it in the class Drop Box for FA 2000 on the finearts server.